LEWISBURG, (Pa.)—Packwood House Museum is pleased to announce its holiday exhibit, “Pennsylvania Redware at Packwood House,” will open on Saturday, November 21, 2015. Featured in the Tour Center’s Kelly Gallery, the exhibit will examine the varieties of forms and decorations used by potters in Central Pennsylvania during the late 18th through the early 20thcenturies. Items on display will include common utilitarian pieces such as pitchers, cups, bowls, plates, crocks, jars, and jugs.
The term “redware” applies to simple, lead-glazed earthenware pottery produced in the United States from roughly after 1625 to the present. It was the first pottery made by European colonists after settling in North America using the native clay that is abundant along stream and riverbeds along the East Coast. Although readily available, redware was extremely porous and had to be coated with a lead-based glaze in order to hold liquids.
Despite this problem, redware continued to be widely used until more durable stoneware and ironstone ceramics became popular around 1850. In parts of Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Virginia, redware is still made today using non-toxic glazes that are safe for cooking and eating.
“Pennsylvania Redware at Packwood House” will run through Saturday, January 9, 2016, and will be available for viewing during the Museum’s open hours of Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. An admission of $5 will be charged. The Museum’s Tour Center is located at 15 North Water Street, Lewisburg. For information on touring the Museum, or to schedule an appointment, please call 570-524-0323.